Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Real Talk

I think it's time I added some real talk to this blog. Yes, it's cool to learn about where to find jobs, upcoming events and the latest in music; however, it's important for you, the reader of this blog, to have some real discussions about things happening in your life. That is the reason that I started this blog in the first place. Somehow, I got off track with the true purpose of this blog.

I started this blog, because of frustration. I look at TV, around my neighborhood in Brooklyn or have discussions with friends about teen girls and the stories I hear are heartbreaking. It's become cute and trendy to "dumb yourself down" for the attention of a boy you like or to be friends with someone that you think is cool. I like reality shows and follow celebrity culture as much as the next person, but the consequences are much greater if you are a girl "in real life." I'm sure you've seen the stories of girls sending naked pics to their boyfriends, but when they break up, they're sent to the whole school or posted on Facebook and twitter. Some girls have even been charged as sex offenders.

You may not realize it now, but you can be your own individual. That doesn't mean your life in middle school or high school will be easy. I know from experience that when you choose to get good grades or not have sex that people around you will tease you and give you labels. Plus, I had many male friends in high school that talked about sexual things they did with girls.  I knew that I didn't want to be the girl they talked about at the lunch tables. When I was called a "virgin" or a "nerd," I felt a brief moment of sadness (about 5 minutes) and then lifted myself back up, because even at a young age, I knew I wanted to go to college. I dated and had boyfriends, but there was not anyone that was going to take me off my path or discourage me from accomplishing my goal.

Think of a goal.

It doesn't need to be college. It can be graduating from high school, learning a trade, starting a business or helping your community. Whatever it is, be unique and powerful enough to choose a path that will determine a positive future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment