Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jobs in NYC are Scarce; but It doesn’t Have to Be That Bad


The purpose of this post is not to discourage anyone from seeking a summer gig; however, as a New York City native I can give you my first account of being on the job prow in the big apple. Here are some tips to increasing your chances of finding a job in a fast-paced city.

Tip #1: Don’t fear rejection.

You’ll come across many job opportunities through different mediums (i.e. word of mouth, the Newspaper, Craigslist, twijobsearch.com and other job focused sites), but don’t be alarmed when you may not get a call back from any of the employers.

Last summer, I went on 11 open houses (throughout various locations in the city) and didn’t get a follow-up call from anyone.

With the competition here, you have to be ready to stay persistent with employers and continuously ask around because you don’t know who may put in a good word for you.

Tip #2: Have no limitations—you’ll be surprised at how far you get

Maybe you have experience working in retail or sales commission, but it’s best to keep your job objective open to any position if the one desired is filled or harder to attain. When an employer ask “What position are you looking to apply?”; You should say, “I’m open to any positions available.”

Speaking from experience, I have no to minimum retail experience; however, because I have worked at a food bar and dealt with customers I can say “I’m customer friendly” and that’s a desirable quality employers are looking for in their employees.

This helped me connect with employers on a different level. I may have been at a disadvantage among prospective employees, but because I had a positive attitude and used customer service as the base for all companies, I stood out!

Tip #3: Don’t React—Be Proactive. Get Involved!

Instead of being discouraged and frustrated with employers, you must keep a positive outlook and no that the right job will find you!

In addition to the 11 open houses, I went on four interviews last summer and got nowhere. At one job, I even went as far as taking a background test and providing legal work documents, and still wasn’t hired!

You shouldn’t spend weeks of searching and let job prowling consume your time. Remember you are on vacation! Find other activities to do, while you are going on open calls and interviews.

The summer is a great season to volunteer. I myself started volunteering for a non-profit at a bookstore (and get this I get free coffee, pastries, and drinks plus other discounts on already low-priced books!)

Tip #4: Career/Recruitment Fairs

Become a staple to recruitment centers, which I’m sure are plentiful in New York or any city for that matter.

Among a crowd of hungry employers, I was offered a position at a gift shop and a great deal of help came from the account managers/officers at the site who screened me and referred that I work there.

Recruitment centers deal with the unemployed, and they want to help you find a job. Based on your skills, officers will screen (briefly interview) you and from their judgment they decide on whether you are suitable to stand out in a crowd of fellow job seekers! Other services include resume building, mock interview, and computer access. Plus you have the chance to speak directly with employers who come to these sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment