Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Experience Lively Animals With Wildlife Conservation Society

With summer well over the half-way mark, I wonder what animals have you seen so far?

Never have I experienced the allure of pet animals or helping any stray and homeless animal. I was never bitten by a dog or stared down by a cat, but I tried to keep distant from animals at ALL possible times.

However, working at the Bronx Zoo has help me wash away some of my fears of animals and the wildlife. As a full-time employee, I spend most of my time at the cafes and mobile carts. One day I'm serving sandwiches to members and the next I'm scooping Hershey's ice cream, slaying under the sun. I don't forget to take a moment out of my hectic shift, and look around. Everyday at the Zoo entails seeing a trail of peacock feathers or an army of ducks and their babies. And while they seem more visible than other mammals, there are a TON of exhibits too. This summer I have witnessed some of the liveliest creatures including snow leopards, red pandas, fawns, blue iguanas, tigers and different species of fish.

At first I just wanted a job--ANY JOB that offered an hourly wage. Now I can crop out possible advantages of working for a prestigious society (other than free passes to any of the parks!:)

Here's an excerpt from WCS:
The Wildlife Conservation Society, founded in 1895, has the clear mission to save wildlife and wild places across the globe. Our story began in the early 1900’s when we successfully helped the American bison recover on the Western Plains. Today, we protect many of the world’s iconic creatures here and abroad, including gorillas in the Congo, tigers in India, wolverines in the Yellowstone Rockies, and ocean giants in our world’s amazing seascapes.

Because of zoo policies, I am not allowed to feed any of the animals or visit any attractions until I'm off the clock; yet I'm glad that I've had a chance to immerse myself in the culture this summer.

For a girl who used to throw stones at pit bulls and run away from cats, I realized that people do love animals.

I encourage all to come out and experience wild and sealife at any of the following WCS locations: the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, New York Aquarium, Prospect Park Zoo, and Queens Zoo. These parks are stationed all around the city for a reason--take advantage!

For more information visit: www.wcs.org

No comments:

Post a Comment